Did you love to color as a kid? Well, if so, I’ve got news for you! You can create your very own, one-of-a-kind wall art for very little green!
One day – not too long after we moved into our new home – I decided it was time to come up with something to hang over our bed that both made a statement and created a nice focal point for that wall of our room.
Well, at first glance, there appeared to be many things to choose from:
- A nice framed print
- A great wrought-iron piece
- A beautifully framed mirror….the list goes on and on.
The problem for me was twofold:
1. We had just spent a lot of money on our move.
2. We live in California, so having something heavy hanging right over our heads that could fall off in an earthquake suddenly made many choices seem not so practical.
A few days later, I was wandering around in a local craft store (one of my all-time favorite pastimes) and I came across a geometric shapes coloring book in the kids’ section. Okay, I thought to myself, if I found several pages in here that I like and color them to work in our space, then mat them, could I actually make a grouping of art that would look good enough to hang on the wall… for all to see?! The answer is yes! So, I purchased the book for about $6, bought some simple black picture mats and away I went.
DIY Wall Art Ideas - Steps:
- I colored three different pictures (enlisting the help of my two wonderful daughters)
- I made a copy of each.
- I matted them with two-sided tape.
- I laid them out on our bed to arrange and rearrange them until I found the configuration that I thought looked the best.
- I measured to center them over the bed and then hung them on the wall.
Believe it or not, I’ve received many compliments on this arrangement, even from one of my interior design teachers. I guarantee you will get compliments too!
So, for a grand total of less than $30 (be sure to watch for sales in the craft and discount stores to save even more when you buy your picture mats) I was able to come up with this solution to my problem. Mission accomplished.
Now what will you do next to love where you live?